Storm Damage Prevention Tip: Gutter Cleaning
The Jersey Shore often gets hit with heavy storms during the summer. Our summer storms are normally include heavy rains, strong winds, flooding in low lying areas, and thunder and lighting. We have shared many tips on preparing for storms, as well as what to do in the event a severe storm causes damage to your southern Monmouth County home or business.
Here is another valuable tip to avoid future damage, make sure your keep an eye on your gutters. Gutters are often an afterthought in home maintenance.
- Check your gutters for debris
- Get a sturdy ladder and secure it properly against your home
- If you find debris, start to clean it out
- Start at the end closest to the drain outlet and work your way across, loosening and clearing out debris in the gutter.
- Second, get your hose and wash out any leftover debris
- This time start from the end away from the drain outlet and work your way to the drain
Do this often and after storms. Debris left in the gutters can cause backups, blockages, and can cause damage to your home. A good way to check if your gutters need cleaning is spray water into the gutter to see if the water flows from the drain freely or it just trickles out. If its flowing slowly or trickling, they probably need a cleaning.
If our summer storms has damage to your home or business, call the highly training pros of SERVPRO of Howell, Wall, Spring Lake, Asbury Park. We are faster to any size disaster and will arrive with our SERVPRO pros who will assess the situation and be ready to get to work. Your local SERVPRO team is always ready to help. Call us any time at 732-577-1010.