Water Damage Timeline
Water can create a disaster in your home or business. It is vital that you act quickly in the event of a water damage event.
Water can move extremely quickly throughout your home of business, wreaking havoc on anything in its path. It can soak through walls, floors, upholstery and your personal items. Water can cause your furniture’s finish to bleed and permanently stain your carpets. Water can also destroy your memories but running photographs, books, and other paper goods.
Here is a sample timeline of what damage water can do:
Within 1 to 24 hours:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
Within 48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
Over 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth
If water cause damage in your home, call the pros at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall. The highly trained experts at SERVPRO are available at anytime, day or night, weekends, holidays, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help you when disaster strikes. Call us at 732-577-1010 for the professional team you can trust!