The Holidays are here and so is the colder New Jersey weather
Colder temperatures are on the way for the Jersey Shore area, as we prepare for the cold weather and how it effects our homes.
Here are some tips from your friends at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall to help you avoid or treat frozen pipes this winter.
- Drain and disconnect garden hoses
- Cover your outside faucets with insulating foam covers
- Turn off water to your outside faucets
- If you have a sprinkler system, turn it off and use compressed air to drain the lines
- Cover or close foundation vents under house and windows to basements
- Insulate exposed hot and cold pipes under your home with foam pipe insulation.
- Drip hot and cold faucets in kitchen and bath. Drip single control faucets with lever set in middle.
- Make sure to check on pipes to your washing machine in the laundry room
- Make sure you know where your water main cut-off valve, and have a cut-off key handy.
- If you find frozen pipes that have not brust, use a hair dryer, heat lamp, electric heat tape, or a portable space heater to thaw them
- When thawing frozen pipes, keep the faucet open to allow water to begin flowing through it again
If you happen to have a pipe burst this winter, call the pros at SERVPRO of Howell / Wall at 732-577-1010, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We are here to help you get through when disaster strikes.