What To Know When Choosing a Fire Extinguisher
Home fire extinguishers can be a life saver. Whether you place one in the kitchen area, near exits, or just in and easy to grab spot, they can enable you to put out a small fire quickly before it spreads. It can add an extra element of safety and peace of mind for your family.
But how do you know if you have the right fire extinguisher for your home or usage needs?
All household fire extinguishers are classified A, B, or C (or a combination of the three).
You should be sure to check the label for the classification letter. Each letter corresponds to the type of fires they can be used on. Ordinary combustibles, flammable liquids or electrical for example. An extinguisher labeled A,B & C will give you the most versatile use since it’s classified to be used on all three types.
Choose the proper size:
Best for: Garage or home workshop, where a fire might grow in size before being noticed.
Look for: Rechargeable model with hose for ease of use.
Best for: Quick grab in the kitchen or laundry room.
Look for: Rechargeable model with hose for ease of use.
Best for: Car.
Look for: Disposable model with mounting hardware to keep it from rolling around in the trunk.
Location, location, location.
Once you’ve determined the proper type and size fire extinguisher for your application, you must decide on the best location to place the extinguisher. Easily accessible, clearly marked areas are best. Mounting the fire extinguisher on a wall by the exit door to a room, will allow you to use the extinguisher with your back to the door. This will provide a quick escape if the fire spreads within the room.
Above all, make sure that your family’s safety is top priority. Escaping the fire unharmed is always the ultimate goal of fire safety.
Once the fire is out and the extinguisher has done it’s job, rely on the experts at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall to clean up the fire’s lasting effects of odor, soot and dust. We offer 24 hour emergency service. Our expert team is just a phone call away at 732-577-1010.
Three Fire Hazards to Watch for this Summer in the Jersey Shore area
Bonfires are great on a cool summer night, but they can be a hazard.
Warm weather is finally here. Memorial day is almost here and the unofficial start of summer on the Jersey Shore. Lots of us will spend lots of time outside for the next few months and with that being said, there are still a wide variety of fire hazards that you should watch out for, even during the summer months.
- Grills: Whether you’re cooking burgers and dogs for the family event or grilling up chicken and kabobs for dinner, you will inherently deal with fire. Most are gas grills, which presents an even greater risk. In fact, the NFPA (https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/US-Fire-Problem/Home-Grill-Fires) reports that an average of 9,600 home fires are caused by grilling each year. Here are some fire safety tips for the grill:
- Before lighting your grill, always check for any potential fire hazards.
- If the grill does not light up on the first shot, let the gas dissipate for at least 5 minutes before trying to light the grill again.
- Be sure the grill is clean before using to get rid of oil and gas residue.
- Make sure the grill is set up in an open, outdoor area and keep it a good distance from the house and railings.
- Dryers: This is a fire hazard year round. In fact, the leading cause of clothes-dryer related fires is a failure to keep the lint baskets clean. Lint is combustible. Lint causes fires. It takes seconds to clean out the lint basket, so just make a habit of it when you get your clothes out of the dryer. If you have space for a clothesline in the spring and summer months- use it! There’s nothing better than fresh, air dried clothes. The NFPA also recommends cleaning out the vent pipe at least once a year so lint or other flammable particles do not get stuck in the vent pipe.
- Outdoor Fire Pits and Bonfires
The necessary safety precautions for an outdoor fire pit are pretty obvious but keep these in mind when you’re having a party on a cool summer night.
- Always have an adult present around a fire- never leave children unattended!
- Always have a bucket of water or a water hose available nearby if things get out of hand.
- Build the fire away from homes, porches, low-hanging trees, or any other fire hazards.
- Monitor how much leaves, pine needles, pine needs, paper, and other contents into the fire since these items catch fire quickly and result in high flames and floating embers.
- Always put the fire out completely before leaving the fire unattended. Don't expect it to die down on its own!
We are always Here to Help when you need us. Call us any time at 732-577-1010! Have a great Summer!
SERVPRO of Howell/Wall Supports Our Neighbors
Our GM Saher at the North Wall Little League Parade with “Buster” from the Lakewood Blueclaws.
By now you are familiar with the orange SERVPRO house logo on our vehicles, uniforms and equipment. It’s there to let you know that we are the experts when it comes to residential water, fire and mold issues. But the orange SERVPRO house means even more than that. It means we are your neighbors, living and working within the communities we serve.
SERVPRO of Howell/Wall is continuing our tradition of investing in our communities. Through sponsorships and volunteering, we are helping to better the fantastic organizations that do such great work for our friends and neighbors.
This Spring we are sponsoring three Little League teams in both Howell and Wall. We are a part of the 8th annual “Touch A Truck” event through Wall Recreation to benefit Make A Wish New Jersey. We are set to be a site sponsor for the upcoming beach sweeps with Clean Ocean Action. We’ll be on hand for the annual Howell Day Celebration as well.
We are a part of great organizations like the Howell Chamber of Commerce and the Jersey Shore Chamber of Commerce.
When you see the orange SERVPRO house logo and call us at 732-577-1010, know that you are enlisting the help of a team of professionals who will treat you like a good friend and neighbor. We take pride in our community and in helping the residents who also call Monmouth County home.
Preparing To Open Your Seasonal Jersey Shore Business
Memorial Day is traditionally the start of the Summer tourist season here at the Jersey Shore. But any seasonal business owner will tell you that the preparations start well before that.
April is the month to coordinate job fairs to ensure that your business has the proper staffing during the busy days ahead.
Taking stock of inventory and reconnecting with vendors and suppliers is key to a successful opening. Customers generally buy seasonal items at the very start and will not be in the market for them even a few weeks later.
Most importantly, it is essential to inspect the physical condition of your business after the Winter months are over.
Things like roof leaks, damaged pipes, mold, and dirty carpets or ducts can be unexpected surprises and add expense and time to your scheduled opening.
At SERVPRO of Howell/Wall, we understand the challenges of seasonal business owners here in Monmouth County. We can schedule an inspection of your commercial business before the season begins. If there are issues related to water damage, mold, sewage or general commercial grade cleaning, SERVPRO of Howell/Wall can make it "Like it never even happened."
Give us a call at (732) 577-1010 and we will gladly help you make your business shine in time for the start of Summer at the Jersey Shore.
Be Ready With An Emergency Supply Kit
Warmer temperatures bring lots of visitors to Monmouth County but rising temps also bring the threat of severe storms. As we approach the start of the 2019 Hurricane Season, it is important to take the proper steps to ensure your safety and the safety of your family, friends and neighbors. Encourage those around you to put together an Emergency Supply Kit and plan. Being proactive can be a lifesaver when disaster strikes. Here are items to consider for your Emergency Supply Kit:
- Water (1 gal per person per day)
- 3 day non-perishable food supply
- Manual can opener
- First Aid Kit
- Weather Radio with extra batteries
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Waterproof matches
- Extra clothing
- Dust masks
- Small tool kit
- Hygiene items
- ID and important documents like insurance policies etc.
- Fire extinguisher
- Plastic sheeting or garbage bags
- Duct tape
- Local maps
- Cell Phone Charge Blocks
- Whistle to signal for help
Severe weather calls for immediate action. Once you and your family are safe the clean-up can begin. The professionals at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall are always ready to take action during any disaster. We’ll help get your life and home back to normal in the aftermath of severe storms. We are here 24 hours a day providing emergency response to Monmouth County neighbors. Reach us at (732) 577-1010. We will help you weather any storm.
Weathering Severe Storms at Home and on the Road
Severe weather can strike at any time. Unfortunately, the timing and conditions of a storm can put your home or car in it’s direct path. Be aware that a sudden storm can do much more than wreck your outdoor plans.
Driving conditions will deteriorate quickly due to:
- Low visibility
- Low traction
- Puddles of water
- High winds
- Flash flooding
- Heavy rain
- Other drivers
It’s always safest to stay off the roads during a storm, but if that isn’t an option remember these key safety tips:
- Keep your doors and windows closed
- Drive slowly
- Don’t tailgate
- Headlights on
- Both hands on the wheel
- Avoid distractions
- Wipers at appropriate speed
Severe storms can do damage to your home and property as well. SERVPRO of Howell/Wall has been through many storms here in Monmouth County. We have helped countless families get their homes and lives back to normal. If you have experienced flooding from storms, water damage from failed drainage systems, broken pipes or windows, roof leaks or failed gutters, we are here to help 24 hours a day. No storm is too big for the experience and expertise of SERVPRO of Howell/Wall.
Always put your safety first and let the professionals at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall handle your storm related damage and issues.
When disaster strikes your business, call SERVPRO of Howell/Wall!
We are here to get your business back up and running fast!
SERVPRO of Howell/Wall is at your service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. When disaster strikes your business we will quickly and promptly. No job is too large for SERVPRO of Howell / Wall and we are ready to handle your commercial loss. Every hour of lost productivity is an hour of lost revenue and our team will act fast to get your business back up and running. So when disaster strikes your Monmouth County business, call the pros at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall and we will make "Like it never even happened." Call us anytime at 732-577-1010.
When Water Damage Strikes, We are there!
Storm Damage in Belmar
Water is very powerful and can do a lot of damage quickly. When you discover water damage in your home or business it can be very alarming and cause stress. There are many causes for water damage: pipes could break, water line to the fridge’s dispenser or ice maker could break, or even the hose to your washer could break, pipes could burst, your roof could leak, sprinkler system malfunction, or overflowed toilets. These are all just a few of the reasons for water damage can happen in your home or business.
Should disaster strike, here some steps to take to minimize the damage to your home or business:
First and foremost: Find the source of water and stop it if possible, or contact a qualified party to do so
Second: Call SERVPRO of Howell/Wall!
What you can do while we are on our way:
- Remove as much excess water as possible, by mopping or blotting
- Wipe away excess water on wood surfaces, table tops
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs of wet carpeting
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, documents or items that are sensitive to moisture
Always Remember safety first! If you are not physically able to take on the above measures, it will be ok, our Team will be there to help!
What to avoid doing:
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical hazards may be present
- Do not use water damaged appliances
- Do not use ceiling light fixtures if the ceiling is wet
When our highly trained and expert team arrives we will assess the damage of the affected areas and start mitigating the water damage as soon as possible to avoid further loss from happening such as warped flooring, mold damage and musty odors.
That is how we at SERVPRO of Howell / Wall are committed to make it "Like it never even happened." When disaster strikes, call the experts at SERVPRO of Howell/Wall anytime at 732-577-1010. We are open to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
SERVPRO "Like it never even happened."
Storm damage? We will make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Howell/Wall truly lives up to our motto "Like it never even happened." When a you are struck by fire, water or storm damage, our highly trained experts spring into action saving homeowners and insurance companies thousands of dollars by offering services to return properties to the like before the disaster.
Our team is professional and will assist your family’s need to help you get back to normal as quickly as possible after an unexpected disaster or damage. In addition to disaster services, we offer property maintenance services like: mold remediation, property restoration, board ups, air duct cleaning, fire and water restoration and more!
The SERVPRO of Howell / Wall team believes in providing excellent customer service during the customer's time of need and works closely with insurance companies to make the entire process as easy as possible. Call us anytime: 732-577-1010.
What is Black Water Damage?
Black water is highly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death. You should avoid ingesting and any contact should be avoided at all costs. Black water may contain some of the following:
- raw sewage
- If water has impacted surfaces and furnishings, treat them as if they are toxic, until properly decontaminated.
- To prevent further contamination, wash your hands frequently.
- Keep your children, your pets, and yourself out of contaminated areas.
- Attempt to decontaminate surfaces yourself with sprays and over-the-counter germicidal products, which may not fully disinfect contaminated surfaces.
Call SERVPRO of Howell/Wall as soon as possible at 732-577-1010 and let our highly trained and licensed expert professionals ensure proper clean up and decontamination. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is fully trained and equipped with the knowledge to restore your property and make it "Like it never even happened."